This morning a large brick fell on my chest. It’s hard to find the words to describe how I feel after the United States went to the polls yesterday to decide what type of country they’d like to be – and decided that what’s important to at least 60 million people is blaming immigrants, Mexicans, Muslims, and journalists for their problems. What’s important is venting rage against mostly phony targets. What’s important are scapegoats and staying as far as possible from self examination. The U.S. is a country without a collective consciousness sufficiently elevated to look in the mirror, and has played into the hands of a one of the most flawed and manipulative human beings on the planet.
What are we supposed to tell our kids and our grandkids now? Hey son! Want to get ahead in life?
- Be a rude and crass sociopathic bully without an ounce of empathy for others.
- Have a vengeful heart filled with spite for anybody who doesn’t agree with you.
- Disregard the truth when it’s not convenient. Live in your own fact free reality.
- Make fun of others at every opportunity. Bonus points if you denigrate their looks.
- Create enemies even where they don’t exist. The people don’t care.
- Treat women like shit. Kiss them without consent. Grab their pussy.
- If you want to stop violence, kill the parents, grandparents, and children of those who practice it.
- Be racist, bigoted, dogmatic, intolerant, and narrow-minded.
- And don’t worry, you can just pretend to be pious. The country is full of religious hypocrites who just want the right words, not the right actions.
The U.S. has demonstrated that it doesn’t care about real human values. It doesn’t care about kindness or compassion. It doesn’t care about dealing with problems from the perspective of empathy or understanding. It doesn’t care about becoming a nation of more enlightened human beings. It has demonstrated to the entire world that self-interest and the desire to live only among those of the same faith, color and customs is what’s most valuable.
I weep for what my former country has become. I weep for those who are so ignorant of history that they are doomed to repeat it. You have elected a deeply flawed human being and in your choice you have revealed to the world your own hearts. This man has shown you clearly who he is, and in your fear, you have ignored his clearly stated intentions. Or worse, your own heart is equally as black and you’ve gone willfully into the darkness.